It’s not long until the Club Championships (members only event) begin this Saturday 15th March 2014.
Welcome to 2014 and I’m looking forward to sharing with you an active year. I trust you’ve absorbed the summer of tennis. The club has commenced the year on the front foot. The Glen Iris Australia Day Tournament, comprising both senior and junior events, conducted in the week leading up to the Australia Day Weekend was an outstanding success. The tournament continues to build from its inception 6 years ago.
The Open Day was held in early February 2014 in oppressive heat (until the blustery change at midday), despite the heat many families arrived with young ones very keen to get on the court. Thanks to Kane Dewhurst, Angelo Giampaolo and the VIDA team for a wide range of on court activities, and to Rajesh Chawla, Brett Allan, Ross Johnson, Murray Verbeek and Andrew Sucevic for the visitor’s barbecue and membership enquiries.
Club Championships are about to commence for members to cross swords across the net in a friendly atmosphere. The Championships will be held over the weekend of 15/16 and 22/23 March 2014. While they are important for members wishing to represent the club in 2014 Winter Competition they are also a great opportunity for social players to test their skills especially in doubles. Members can enter online or contact Tournament Organiser Angelo Giampaolo on email@example.com
There are 2 events being held at the club over the next few months:
Pro Tour Events at Glen Iris
- The Glen Iris Valley Recreation Club will host Women’s and Men’s Pro Tour $15,000 events from Sunday the 30th of March to Sunday April 13th. These events will feature professional players from across the World competing for World ranking points and prize money. Qualifying for the Women’s event will start on Sunday the 30th, with the final of the Main Draw on the 6th of April. The Men’s qualifying will start on the 6th of April and conclude on the 13th.
- The club will need to provide some services to the players during the event. One of which is a transport service to and from the club and the player’s hotel. Tennis Australia will be supplying a mini-bus and all other required essentials. We are requesting for a morning or an afternoon shift to drive the mini-bus (normal license is okay). If you are able to help out on any of the days (30th March to 13th April) please contact Kane Dewhurst on firstname.lastname@example.org
Tennis Victoria Premier League
- The annual Tennis Victoria Premier League final will be held at the club on Sunday the 13th of April and will feature Men’s and Women’s matches. This league is the strongest club versus club competition in Australia and will feature local and international players. Play will commence from 11am and is free to come and enjoy some great tennis. The Men’s final of the Pro Tour event will also be on the same day. We are running a bar and barbecue on the day and look forward for any member assistance to support us with that.
In summary, top tennis at the GIVRC, the standard of which will only be exceeded by the Club Championships!
The Board is continuing with its on going program to utilise the club’s facilities to their maximum. This will mean that, from time to time, courts are not available for members. We are conscious of that imposition and ensure that where possible, at least 2 courts are available for member usage. We will do our best to inform you of these restrictions so you can play accordingly. Should you wish to take advantage of a members court during tournaments, could you please ring Club Manager Kane Dewhurst on 0401 052 636 prior to coming down so we can ensure your access to a court.
We are again holding a working bee at the club on Sunday 16 March 2014 commencing at 8:30am to keep the club’s excellent grounds looking at their best. If you are able to assist in the morning please call or text me on 0416 003 340. Looking forward to seeing you on that Sunday morning.
The club has sent out its 2014 subscription notices and payments are now due. If there are financial difficulties could you please contact the Membership Secretary Andrew Sucevic on email@example.com to make an alternative arrangement. The Board adopted the 2014 budget and this requires subscriptions to be paid by the due date so the club can finance its annual operations. Nominations for the 2014 Winter Competitions will not be accepted unless the membership subscription has been paid.
Please enjoy, not only your own tennis at the club, but other top class tennis at the club over the next few months.
The final of the Tennis Victoria Premier League will also be held at Glen Iris Valley on Sunday the 13th of April.
Tennis Victoria’s Premier League is Victoria’s premier inter-club competition and it will commence on Monday 10 March, 2014. The 2014 TVPL season will feature 6 team licence holders in both the men’s and women’s competitions, and feature 5 rounds of the highest quality play.
The 2013 TVPL season was a huge success with the star studded Delahey Rec, led by Viktorija Rajicic and Karoline Wlodoczak, taking out the women’s title over the Kooyong Lawn TC. The men’s competition saw an epic final with the Kooyong Lawn TC featuring star player Andrew Whittington, and up and coming Aussie stars Mitch Burman and Marc Polmans, take out the experienced MCC TC outfit featuring former Australian Davis Cup player Peter Luczak.
The Glen Iris Valley Tennis Club will host two Pro Tour Events in 2014.
The Australian Pro Tour encompasses 36 weeks of competition, more than $900,000 in prize money and over 7000 world ranking points. The tour is made up of Pro Tour events, Australian Money Tournaments and the Asia-Pacific Tennis League.
Pro Tour events show case players ranked from approx 200 in the world. You will also see Australia’s up and coming juniors on show as they try and raise their world rankings to the worlds elite.
In recent times Glen Iris has hosted some great tennis events including the Federation Cup (Australia vs Ukraine), the Premier League Final, Australian Ranking events and much more.
Dates for the events:
- Glen Iris Valley (Women’s events – $15,000)
- Sunday 30th March (Qualifying Starts) to
- Sunday 6th April (Final Main Draw)
- Glen Iris Valley (Men’s events – $15,000)
- Sunday 6th April (Qualifying starts) to
- Sunday 13th April (Final Main Draw)